Thursday, October 22, 2020

The Knock of Hope

            

(This Photo was taken by me when I was in quarantine in Blomet community, Paris.)

            If I recall it right, my first quarantine was in February of 2018. It was early in the morning when my body started to itch. I was not sure what was the cause of this itching. I went on to have my breakfast, but the itching continued. My Superior back then noticed my struggle and the dance caused by the itching and inquired about it. I explained what was happening to me. He, along with other community members came to the conclusion that I have the symptoms of the well-known disease among the French known as ‘La Varicelle.’ For a moment I thought I had caught a rare disease and I would have to suffer a lot. But my community members were kind enough to console me and explain that ‘La Varicelle’ is nothing but the Chickenpox, which is mostly seen in children and is not a very dangerous disease. As I started to feel relaxed, I heard ‘mais’ which means ‘but’ from one of the Fathers, who added that I should be careful as this disease can cause lasting damage in the adults. So, immediately an appointment was fixed with the doctor to confirm it. 

            As expected by all, it was confirmed and the emergency was declared. Doctor indicated that I may spread it to others if they had never contracted it. He further added that there is no medicine and that I may develop some complications like lung infection. Does this ring a bell? Yes, it was exactly the same situation as with the Covid-19 patients. Just like them, I had to be quarantined. I had to follow the simple rule of social distancing when the people were around. I was provided with the food in my room. The first day was fun because even though I was occupied with scratching my body, I watched movies that I wanted to watch for a long time. But after a few days I was tired of scratching and watching movies. I felt like going for a walk in the garden, but I didn't dare to. 

Surprisingly, when I look back at those quarantine days, I feel like they were not that bad after all, especially when I think of those knocks, on my door by my community members, who would pass by to greet me and encourage me. Thanks to those knocks of hope, my quarantine days were truly the days of healing and rejuvenating. 

Now, during these days of Covid-19 quarantine, I only hope and pray that there is a knocking of hope for each of us and we in turn cause the knock of hope for others. Sometimes there may not be a door to knock, then knock on the window. If there is no window, then if possible, send the emoji or the sticker of a door and knock on it. In other words, knock in your own creative way and keep the hope alive. Because that’s the most important medicine to survive this quarantine.


2 comments:

  1. Bravo Nithin! Nice write up.I never heard this story when you were in Paris!Thanks for sharing. Hoping with you that all those going through lonely times with Covid may find someone to comfort them.

    ReplyDelete