Saturday, June 6, 2020

My Days at ‘Médecins du Monde’




During my days in Paris, I had an opportunity to volunteer at the NGO called ‘Médecins du Monde’. This NGO gives free treatment to the people who do not have any official papers and also helps them to get their health insurance offered by the French Government. As I knew Hindi along with French, I was asked to play the role of a translator between the most of the Asian patients and the French Doctors or the other volunteers of the NGO. 


During my days as the translator I had met hundreds of Asians who had come to Europe to earn and send some money to their families in Asia. Most of them had to walk miles and cross the sea on the boat or the flight to get to Europe. From their sharing I realised that most of them felt lonely as they were away from their home and people. Very few of them were lucky to have friends from their own land or country. It can be an alienating experience when you neither speak the language nor understand the people around you. 


I feel lucky and blessed to have had an opportunity to learn the French language and to blend into the French culture. I believe it would not have been possible if not for the Jesuit community of rue Blomet where I lived my days in Paris. It was here that I learned the language and the habits of French. Yet I also had to undergo the alienating experience as I had zero French vocabulary during my starting days at Blomet. But with time I started to feel at home. So much so I didn't want it to end.


As I was doing my philosophical studies I could go only once a week to Medicin du Monde. So, I used to go on Fridays, as it was the day when the most of the Asians choose to come to the centre. For the most of the patients I was the only person who could understand their language. As the result they became very emotionally attached to me. So much so they wanted to keep in touch with me either through Facebook or any other means. Surprisingly none of them contacted me seeking my help. I was very much moved when they invited me for a meal or a visit to their workplace.  


I can never forget the Bengali couple who had no place to stay. They were moving between the shelters arranged by different NGO’s. Moreover, the lady was six months pregnant. There were days when they had to sleep in metro station. Even Though they knew I could not help them, they would call me up just to talk to a familiar voice. Luckily I met another Bengali couple at Medicin du Monde, who too were very close to me, so I had put them in contact with each other, so that they could be of some help. Finally, they managed to find a stable place to stay. To add to their joy, they had a cute Baby Boy. Recently when I had a Skype call with them, I learnt that they have got a job and an opportunity to learn French language through JRS Paris.


I was also inspired by the volunteering spirit of the French people. There were not only retired doctors, but also young people, who spent at least a day in the centre. I felt motivated to be there every week. I felt that we were a team working for the common good. What can be more Ignatian than this? I feel it was here that I imbibed the spirit of collaboration, which the Society of Jesus has taught me.

________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment